Walking With Drake

One Mother's perspective on autism.

A New School Year, A New Social Story






Every year since Drake began private preschool at age 3, I have created a social story for any teachers or staff who may be working with Drake.  

Last year's  Kindergarten social story was quite extensive because I was a total basket case and beginning public school with a non-verbal child is absolutely terrifying.  However, if I could have hand picked a school, teachers, and staff to work with my child...I would have picked all those people.  

This year, Drake will be surrounded by many of the same teachers and support staff.  However, he will be joining the regular education children throughout his school day for lunch, recess, and electives such as art and music.  Of course, he will have Koda with him and his 1:1 support. I am all about inclusion, but I don't believe it should be rushed or forced.  As Drake is ready, he will be spending more and more time in the regular education classroom.  But, not until he is ready.  I think that is the beauty of this school.  They do what is best for each child and know exactly what inclusion should look like.  We are blessed to have educators and staff who really get it.

I am quite proud that I don't feel the need to write a ten page novel to the teachers and staff this year.  I'm sure they are thrilled as well. 


Dear teachers and staff, 

We are looking forward to another great year!  I am once again trusting you to take care of Drake and make sure he is protected, loved, and challenged educationally.  As most of you know, Drake is non-verbal.  However, this certainly doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand language, emotions, or has an inability to learn.  He has amazing non-verbal communication skills and also has his AAC device (please always give him access to his words).  Last year, I took Drake to school having no idea what the year would bring.  I can confidently say that it was everything I wanted for Drake, and more.  Mainly because each person who worked with Drake had his best interest in mind.  Thank you, thank you all.  
I have included some information about Drake below, information that many of you know already. Koda is also an important part of Drake’s day. She is a constant in his life, helps tremendously with anxiety, and has helped him socially.  If anyone needs training, has questions, please let me know. Feel free to share with anyone who may be new on his team this year.  
Most importantly, please keep me informed on how Drake is doing…both good and bad. Remember, Drake cannot tell me how his day has gone. I need to know if things are okay, for my sanity. I have no way of knowing if someone was mean to him, if he made a new friend, if he mastered a goal, or if he ate all his lunch….unless you tell me.  I will keep a communication notebook in his bookbag, just like last year. Please communicate with me there, by phone, text, or email.  

Here’s to a great 2018-2019 school year.  You all are appreciated and loved so much already! 




Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment